Custom Longarm Machine Quilting

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Charm Pack table runner quick tutorial

Today I threw together two really fun charm pack table runners. Hopefully I will be able to quilt them by Christmas, as they are for wedding gifts the weekend after Christmas.

In case you are wondering how a charm pack table runner can be "thrown together" it is quite simple.

Step 1:
Pick out your fabric. If you are using a pre-cut charm pack, it should say how many squares are included. One of the packs I used had 38 squares, the other had 40.

Step 2:
Decide how big you want it to be. I wanted to utilize as many squares as possible from the pack, so I found the common factor (a little rusty on my math...but whatever times whatever equals the closest number to the number of squares in the pack).

For the pack with 40 squares I had several options: 4x10, 5x8, 6x6 (not using 4 squares), 3x12 (not using 4 squares), 2x20... I went with the 5x8. I didn't want it to be too long, in case the recipient didn't have a long table.

For the pack with 38 squares I also had a few options. However, since 38 can only be divised by 19 and 2, I had to go with something that didn't use all the squares: 4x9, 6x6, 3x12. I went with a 4x9.

Step 3:
Lay out your squares into rows, and arrange as is pleasing to you.

Step 4:
Sew blocks together into rows using a 1/4 inch seam.

Step 5:
Sew rows together to create a quilt top.

Step 6:
Decide if you want a border or not. If you want a border, measure your quilt. I used a border on both of mine, and I wanted it to be 2 inches, finished. I cute my strips 2 1/2 inches wide, and 2 of them were the exact length of the quilt. The other two were the length plus 5 inches (2 1/2 on each side for the other two borders). Add your borders to your quilt.

Step 7:
Layer top, batting, and backing. Quilt as desired. I think I might either quilt in the ditch or do a meander or floral pattern across both of mine. I will be sure to post pictures when they are finished!

This is a really quick and easy pattern, and makes a great quick and easy gift for any occasion!

0 comments: