Custom Longarm Machine Quilting

Friday, June 22, 2012

Keeping it Real

I've taken the bulk of the week off from blogging. Normally I spend all day Monday writing my blog posts for the week and schedule them out so that they'll automatically post for me. This week, though, I took the entire day Monday to work on my books. I was sooo behind! I had to do books from March, April, and May. I say this every time, but I swear I am never going to get that far behind again! (until September hits and I'm doing three months worth of books again!)

So, in case you think that my whole life is sunshine, roses, and quilting (oh I wish!) here is a quick keeping it real post. Don't worry, I will post more detail and info about the quilt shown here next week, with a better (read: up close) photo.

First up, last Saturday was my 10 year high school reunion. I was approached back in January about donating some fabric for a quilt, and donating the quilting for it. I agreed, and in May the gal who made the quilt dropped it off to me. It's a really cute quilt, inspired by the Surprisingly Super Simple quilt pattern I was using to make a quilt for B when she came over for the initial quilt consultation in March. Early last week I got it finished and bound and sent off, just in time for the reunion.

My life has been pretty hectic with this little one around now. She definitely keeps me on my toes! There is no such thing as "stick her in her high chair and let her eat finger foods" because the finger foods inevitably end up scattered across my not-so-clean kitchen floor. Sadly my house is in desperate need of cleaning, but that is so far down my list of things to do that mopping the floor on my hands and knees will probably get done on the 12th of NeverBut she's such a cutie, isn't she? We just bought this fun play center for the shop, so she can play while I work. She loves it, except for the fact that she's so little that she can't reach the hanging toys. Other than that, she loves it. :)



She's also obsessed with plastic water bottles. We've been trying to be healthier at our house this summer, and one was is to drink a TON of water. We bought cases of water on sale at our local market and have slammed through them. She gets to play with the empty bottles, and it is definitely one of her favorite things.

To add a little stress to my life, my 5 1/2 year old has decided that he (finally) likes to color, just not on paper. I caught him the other day coloring on my husband's white XBOX controller with orange marker. Ugh! We had the "only color on paper" talk, and I was sure that would be the end of it for a while.

Of course, I was wrong! Two days later, I was sitting on my couch and I looked over at the stairs. There was a nice little smiley face smiling back at me. I smiled and turned away before doing a double-take. What the heck?! There was a smiley face looking at me! I walked up the stairs to find this -> colored in brown crayon on the wall above the stairs. He was so proud of himself, too, when I called him over to talk to him about it, that he took my free hand (I was carrying B) and dragged me down the hall to see what he had done to his door.

Yep, that's right. His door. He wrote his name, quite nicely, across the front of his door.

Then he pointed to his wall. By this time my husband and I were trying so hard not to burst out laughing. It was so funny. But the last thing we wanted to do was laugh at his naughty behavior. So instead, we laugh at his naughty behavior behind his back. :)

Anyway, back to his wall.... He drew a lovely picture of him and his sister. I mean, it really was sweet that he wanted to draw a picture of him and B, but not on the wall.  We had to explain, again, that we "only color on paper" and that since we are currently renting, we can't color on any of the walls. He looked sad for a moment, then said "Can I help you clean it up?" Yep folks, he was eager to clean up his wall art. I got out the Magic Eraser (thank goodness for Mr Clean!) and he scrubbed both walls and the door until the crayon came off.

Seriously, that child can be quite a handful, but then again, what boy isn't? But I love that kiddo so much. And he makes me laugh. So it's all worth it :) (Plus, he's pretty dang cute)




0 comments: