Custom Longarm Machine Quilting

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mike's T-Shirt Quilt

I've been working on a t-shirt quilt for my husband for what seems like years (probably because it has been years!).  I finally got it done this past week.  He's so excited to have a quilt big enough (he always says that the quilts I make us aren't long enough to cover his feet.  I don't know what he's complaining about.  They cover mine just fine!).  It ended up being about 72 x 90.

I gathered up all of his old, random t-shirts to make the quilt.  I used a solid grey minkee on the back, and bound it with a black/grey swirl print.

I quilted the quilt with a tight overall meander.  I outlined certain parts of the designs on some of the t-shirts, and then stitched words or images into some of the blocks.  For example, on his "No I will not fix your computer" t-shirt, I quilted a desktop computer.  And, on his Verizon Wireless t-shirt I quilted "Can you hear me now?"

It turned out way bigger than I expected.  When I laid it out on our bed to take a picture of it, I was surprised by how large it is.
But, it turned out great, and Mike is super excited to use it.

I used Superior Threads monopoly clear on the top, and Superior Threads So Fine! Smoke (a grey colored thread) in the bobbin.

0 comments: